Stevenage Borough 0 Woking 2

Last updated : 07 December 2004 By Footymad Previewer
In a classic game of two halves it was Woking who came away with all three points after they controlled the second 45 minutes.

The first meaningful action of the match came in the tenth minute when Anthony Elding hooked Matt Hocking's throw into the penalty box.

George Boyd met it on the half-volley and, as the ball bounced goalwards, Woking keeper Adriano Basso tipped the ball superbly over the bar.

Two minutes later Elding was put through down the left wing. He cut the ball back for Boyd to try a ten-yard effort that Basso once again saved well.

Basso was in superb form again on the half-hour when a corner fell to Jason Goodliffe on the edge of the box. His snap-shot was parried by Basso and the advancing Brian Quailey could only blast the ball out of the ground when a simple tap-in seemed the better option.

Just before the break Boro once again went close to breaking the deadlock when, after a melee in the box, Qualiey flicked the ball on to the post.

A quiet start to the second half erupted into action in the 52nd minute when the referee awarded Woking a soft free-kick 30 yards out.

A high chip into the box was nodded back down to Jefferson Louis whose eight-yard shot gave Boro keeper Steve Croudson no chance. It was Woking's first shot on goal but certainly not their last.

Although Boro tried to fight back the rest of the match belonged to Woking.

Croudson was soon called into action making a fine save low down to his left from Stephen Evans' snapshot.

The game was put beyond Boro's reach in the 68th minute. A corner from the left was poorly defended and Luke Oliver was allowed to head the ball into the top corner of the net.

Stevenage went to pieces and when Simon Weatherstone gave away a free-kick on the edge of the penalty area, the chipped set-piece fell to Raphael Nade who forced Croudson to make another fine save.

Justin Richards' deft chip over the keeper was cleared off the line by Barry Laker but Woking had done more than enough to secure a precious three points.