Stevenage 2 Yeovil 2

Last updated : 14 September 2002 By Footymad Previewer

Stevenage and Yeovil shared the spoils in a pulsating encounter which produced a host of chances for either side to clinch victory.

With the two sides having met just three months ago in the FA Trophy final there was clearly plenty to play for and it was the home side that looked in the mood for revenge for their 2-0 defeat at Villa Park, as they took the game to Yeovil.

Stevenage's new signings, Charlie MacDonald and Michael Blackwood both came close with first-half efforts across the face of goal. Blackwood should have done better on 11 minutes when a cross from the right from MacDonald found him free on goal, but the new Boro midfielder missed his kick and the chance went begging.

Yeovil too had their chances with Michael McIndoe in the thick of the action coming closest to scoring when he forced a superb save from home keeper Mark Westhead following a blistering free-kick.

McIndoe also came close early on when he broke free and rounded Westhead only to see his effort cleared off the line by Robin Trott.

With half time beckoning and the game seemingly at stalemate it was Stevenage that took the lead when a neat throughball from Sam McMahon found Kirk Jackson who volleyed home into the roof of the net.

Yeovil came out for the second half with far more determination and they took the game to Stevenage, as both Lee Johnson and Gavin Williams both came close to netting.

Yeovil finally got the equaliser on 58 minutes with a simple header from Terry Skiverton following a Williams corner which put Yeovil back into the contest Stevenage produced the best reply possible however as Jackson poked home his second of the game from close range after Yeovil failed to clear their lines.

Stevenage however were unable to hold on to their lead and on 65 minutes half-time sub Abdoulai Demba pulled Yeovil back level again with a stunning looping header from the edge of the box following a Darren Way cross.

That proved to be the end of the scoring but both sides still had chances to win it with Stevenage's McMahon seeing a 20-yard volley come back off the crossbar, while Carl Alford forced the ball in deep into injury time only for the effort to be disallowed for a foul on Jamie Campbell