Farnborough Town 2 Stevenage Borough 0

Last updated : 26 December 2003 By Footymad Previewer

Farnborough Town gained sweet revenge on former boss Graham Westley with a 2-0 victory in a Christmas cracker at Cherrywood Road.

Westley was making his first visit to Farnborough since walking out on the club last January, just two days after leading them in an epic FA Cup encounter with Arsenal.

The acrimonious split, with eight key players following him to Hertfordshire, sent the fans into a rage and today Westley returned to face the music.

Home supporters gave Westley a torrid time throughout and around 100 waited beside the official England team coach which Westerly had recently hired, to demonstrate and vent their anger.

Westley and the players survived the experience by keeping their heads down, but also left pointless as rejuvenated Farnborough swept to their third win in four games to improve their chances of avoiding the drop.

It wasn't a classic by any stretch but Farnborough, with fire in their bellies, set their stall out strongly in order to send their fans home happy.

Ex-Stevenage striker Howard Forinton squandered the best chance of the early exchanges, firing a shot high over the bar, while Richard Hodgson caused panic with a swinging corner which whistled across the face of goal.

Stevenage forced Farnborough keeper Mark Osborn into his best moments of the first half with a save from Lee Flynn, but with the half-time whistle approaching and deadlock looking likely, Farnborough struck.

Hodgson forced keeper Lionel Perez into a diving save, received the ball back from the rebound out wide and bent a glorious shot back over Perez and into the far corner of the net to send the fans wild.

Westley gave his team a half-time rollicking and it seemed to have worked as Stevenage came out hungrier for the second half with Danny Carroll, an ex-Farnborough midfielder forcing a fine save from Osborn and substitute Anthony Elding blazing over the bar.

But Farnborough kept their heads throughout and created plenty of chances of their own.

Ali Chaaban's header brought a fine save from Perez while Paul Harkness missed a glorious opportunity to double the lead after latching on to a weak Mark Smith backpass and rounding the keeper, only for Perez to frantically steal the ball from under his feet.

Tensions mounted as the minutes ticked on, but in the third minute of stoppage time Farnborough fans were rewarded when Chaaban received the ball out on the right, turned Smith inside and out, before planting a shot passed Perez into the bottom corner.